Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Back Rubs

Ah, yes, back rubs.  Most of us can remember the days when our moms rubbed our backs.  And if you are lucky, you still have a mom that does!  Andrew and I both remember the nights of our adolescence when our days ended with the gentle caress of our mother's hand on our backs lulling us to sleep.  As we got older, back rubs seemed to disappear somewhere in the puberty years when our bodies were transforming and we no longer longed for our mother's caress quite like that.  But today I would love nothing more than my mom to come and rub my back at night.  Instead I settle with my current dutiful role as a mother to a daughter who recently discovered the love (and need!) of back rubs. 

Recently Tatum started asking for back rubs at night: "Rub my back momma," she spoke gently to me one night.  I smiled and started to rub her back.  "No, not like that.  Like this," she said as she pulled up her night dress and corrected my hand placement from over the top of her nightie to underneath.  I agreed, yes, skin to skin is much better.  And in that moment a new habit was formed.  Now it has become routine each night for her to ask for her back to be rubbed.  Sometimes she requests her hair to be rubbed and in return she rubs mine at the same time.  Her nurturing side is strong, and I adore the moments she chooses to nurture me.  Last night as I tucked her to bed she grabbed my face with both hands and stroked the sides of my face, from my forehead to my chin, over and over.  She said to me, "Momma, your face is SO beautiful."  Oh sweet pea, thank you.  Then a moment later, "I love you so much mommy."  And I love you.  "Momma, your forehead is so beautiful."  Thanks Tatum...now it's time to sleep. Ah!

2 comments: