Thursday, February 2, 2012

Housework or Houseplay?

Life is all perception, right?  Right.  So the other night I found myself in typical fashion on my hands and knees sweeping the kitchen floor.  Hazel approached in excitement seeing the dustpan and broom as nothing more than toys.  I denied her the opportunity to play because I wanted to finish this simple task of cleaning the floor. She protested the rejection and cried to have the toys in her hands.  I realized as I looked at the frustration that was growing in my body for having to even clean in the first place, that I saw these two items in my hands as tools to do work, whereas Hazel saw them as toys to do play.  If I simply changed my perception of what I was doing, playing instead of working, then the whole process of cleaning becomes a source of joy instead of resentment.  Funny how perception works.  So I finished my sweep, dumped the dirt in the trashcan (literally and figuratively) and gave the toys to Hazel to play.   I'd much rather play than work any day, anytime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment